Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sometimes The Only Thing To Do: Is To Start.

I just looked down at the clock, realizing that this is usually the time I'm finished with this post and Editing it to put online. I hadn't come up with an idea yet. I had been thinking about what to write for a good 2 hours. Trying to think of a compelling topic, something that will be interesting, edgy, and fun to read. I got nothing. Perhaps too much taco bell last night. Perhaps I've run out of creative gas. perhaps this is what people call writer's block.



nonetheless, this writing method is supposed to be the unadulterated cure for writers block in any form. just writing. you cant not be writing if you're writing. It sound strange, but its really that simple. So here I am writing. I think that this simple act is an enormous victory for anyone who has done it. For anyone who has gone from not knowing what the hell to write, or to do, or how to deal with life, and the timer starts, and you're writing. You're making things. You're doing the opposite of what you were doing literally a second before: wallowing in self-doubt and not creating. It really is that simple.



I think as you go through life you realize more and more that the first step is the hardest. However  I've noticed that this seems to only pertain to things you do often. I look up now and realize that I've written 3 paragraphs already. I'm writing this quickly because I've been practicing for almost a month now. This is very similar to people who are lawyers, doctors, firemen, or whatever other profession you have. The first time a fireman runs into a burning building is the hardest, to be sure, but each time after that the protocols he's learned become more second nature, he understands whats safe and whats not, and he gets the people out more safely every time. That's the nature of practice. The first step is always the hardest.



However, as you get older, It seems that we forger that this rule goes for EVERYTHING, not just the job we've chosen. In the past month, I've started to teach myself  Video Editing. I literally know nothing about video editing. So how did i do it? well I started by....starting. I found a super beginner class, I sat down with a cup of coffee, and I followed along in Adobe Premiere Pro. I did that every day for at least an hour or so. I kept learning more, and making new videos for my you tube channel. I added animations, I fixed sound levels, I made sure they were in high definition (do'h) and people started to watch them more and more.  I started to get better and better at balancing sound levels, adding in cut bits of film, ripple deleting, adding transitions, and all the basics of video editing. How long did this take? according to the online course I'm taking, it took about 3 hours of classes that I watched intently, and maybe 15 hours of concentrated work on my own videos. 18 hours total? lets round it up to 20.



My videos are by no means professional. They are sometimes a little rough, and often the animations are intentionally silly to add that "home made" feel. Its also a that I have the skill to do currently. But I've learned a basic skill that I can transfer anywhere in about 20 hours. If I want to learn more about it (which I do) I'll just continue to take more classes on it and continue to grow my knowledge. That first step was the hardest. I didn’t even know how to get a video clip into premiere pro when i started. now I'm compiling multiple reels together into full video presentations. It's a great feeling to learn so much so fast. I challenge all of you to try it.



There are always "top 5 tricks for learning something new" or whatever else. There are no top 5 tricks. there are no top 3. There is a top one. Start. whatever you've been putting off, think about it. think about how good you'll feel when its done. Imagine the finished product of having that project done, or that new concept learned. Imagine how much fun it will be to learn about that new skill, or how east it will be to finish that task you've been putting off. Now get up and go do it. Don't be like me sulking around for 2 hours trying to think of what to write about, when instead I could have just sat down and started writing.



Its funny how as you become more skilled in one thing or another you decide that you couldn't possibly learn a new skill. I felt that way about quite a few things lately. It was strange how I was just sure that I could never learn to edit video. Now that I've started. I'm sure that I could become very good at it if I decided to continue to learn more about it. I'm convinced that I could learn just about anything If I just started. not even if I "put my mind to it" as we all like to say. But If i just started.



So that's my challenge for you today readers: Start today. Start something new that you've never done before that you've always wanted to try. I think for me today I will start to learn more about computer programming for more in depth websites.  I'll grab a class (Lynda is great and offer the first month free!) off line and watch the first few videos, and I'll probably be programming a really nice basic web page from scratch by the afternoon. I can imagine myself learning how to become proficient with programming, and making websites for my friends on the side for extra money. I can imagine continuing to learn these skills and using them for my own enjoyment, and who knows? maybe even for the enjoyment of others. Its that simple. Hopefully when you all come back to this page in a few weeks you'll be directed to  a much nicer, cleaner Web page for me which you'll all enjoy much more.



What will you start today? Why not a blog? a workout? a new diet? A new business? Maybe just clean our the garage you've been promising yourself you would get to. These are all possible. Why not try out a new sport, or try and learn how to program yourself! there are so many possibilities. Don't let this blog post limit you. but tell us all about it right below in the comments.



Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment