Friday, February 27, 2015

The Case For Videogames

For those of you who know me: its no surprise. I love video games. I've played them constantly since I can remember. When I was maybe 5 years old, my parents got their first computer in the house, and I played Commander Keen on it every spare second I could get. I would sit in front of that computer for hours, beating the levels, and trying to learn new ways to defeat the monsters at each stage. It was a simple pleasure for a kid such as myself.



As I grew up, I started to play the Final Fantasy Series, Then the Metal Gear Series. Then onto Your Call Of Duties, The Elder Scrolls Series and on and on. I Must have spent thousands on video games in my life, only to often sell them off to Gamestop, or give them away to friends. Thanks to my love of video games, I've also made and kept some relationships alive across thousands of miles, and It gave me a great escape from reality without spending a lot of money, keeping me away from drugs and alcohol, and also teaching me problem solving skills in many cases. I know you've all heard that shit before. I will tell you know firsthand that it worked for me, just like every video game supporter says.



Yes video games are violent. nine times out of ten they're about blowing up or killing something or someone. Nine times out of ten the draw of the game is the flashy way in which you commit said murders. However it never seems as though that's the part of the game I remember fondly. I never think of the game as "wow, it was so awesome when i assassinated x" I usually remember these very story driven games by the characters and their interactions, the compelling story told through this medium, and how wonderful it is that you get to not only experience this world and its characters, but actually interact with them in this world that’s made just for you to play in. How amazing.



Its one thing to watch a TV show. Its one thing to watch a movie. You get to see the characters, interact with them, enjoy their stories, and then go on with your day. In video games you get to be a part of that story. You get to actually act out the hero's story, be a part of it, and become so invested in his success that you really, truly get attached to him, his friends, his loved ones, and really want him or her to succeed. It's one of the most interesting feelings in the world. Being able to spend time in this world, and do it from the comfort of your own couch. It's truly amazing to be able to experience a story through this medium, with a level of emotional investment that I don't think any other medium offers.



And this hasn't even gotten into the realm of online gaming. I have always been a true lover of online games. I even spent a good part of my childhood trying to play online shooters on a 56k modem (hint: it doesn't work) And I 've also spent many countless hours enjoying the luxury of high speed online gaming. This is another enjoyment entirely, where you can make great friends that are literally around the world. 5 years ago, this would be a creepy thing to say. People were very often still afraid of the trope of the "creepy online predator" who would collect your data and stalk you. Not the case anymore. The guys you meet online are well...normal guys (and gals) and they're a lot of fun to talk to, and to play games with. because who knew, when you play a game that people enjoy as much as you, you have a lot in common. I've made a few close friends over my tenure in the gaming world, all online. I've gone on to meet these folks, and build good relationships with them. It's a wonderful new means of meeting people whom you can feel comfortable around, and its truly wonderful.



I'm so glad that video games have been a part of my life. They gave me an insight into storytelling, and into friendships. and of course into team work as well. The Cast Chris and I host at (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk6s6apdzIO13oexYXcQIJw/feed?view_as=public) is just full of botched teamwork attempts, and its a great time. It's what makes the game so much fun: that you need to meet up with 4 other complete strangers and make the game work.  If you don’t, you lose. If you do, you win and summarily crush your opponents. There are about a million other small niceties to the game, but that's part of its charm: its a massive sea of techniques and abilities and items, all to be learned. Or just used completely wrong and thereby forcing a loss. Either or.



I shant ramble on any more about the joys of video games, but I challenge each of you to try them out if you haven't. Especially if you can find a good friend to play them with. Sharing something like a game of that nature is one of the true joys of life. Not so much the game itself, but sharing a story like that with a close friend, and enjoying each part together is one of life’s most simple, special pleasures.



If you guys really had a great times with video games in your childhood (and you still do) share the story in the comments.

1 comment: